Shirley Police Department
Firearms Safety Course
We believe that it is the responsibility of every gun owner to be as educated and as safe as they can possibly be. The course is designed for citizens with an interest in: firearms, their safe handling, safe storage of guns, and an understanding of Indiana gun laws and enhancing their shooting skills.
The class will consist of a half day of classroom lecture/training and then move to the firing range for practical skills application of the material discussed in the class.
The purpose of the Shirley Police Department's Firearms Safety Course is to educate the public on general safety and handling of firearms.
*Upon passing a background check, you may be eligible for acceptance into this course. The Firearms Instructors will have sole discretion for your acceptance to and attendance at this course.
The cost for this course is $35.00 per individual. Payment will only be accepted on the day of the class.
*You DO NOT need a handgun permit to attend this course per I.C. Code 35-47-2-1. (If no permit, handgun must be unloaded, not readily accessible and secured in a case.)
Requirements for this course are listed below:
- Must be 18 years of age and be able to pass a criminal history check.
- Must bring a legal, modern handgun that will pass instructor inspection for safety and reliability. Calibers which will be accepted are: .22, .380acp, .38, 357, 9mm, .40 Caliber, .45acp. NOTE: Any other calibers must be approved prior to the start of the course)
- Must bring minimum 150 rounds of NEW manufactured ammunition for your handgun, also subject to inspection by instructor. NO Reloads.
- Must have a holster specifically made for your handgun. Holster will need to fit the firearm and needs to be able to be secured at your waistline. No cross draw, ankle or shoulder holsters will be allowed.
- Every person must bring eye and ear protection, to be worn at all times while on the range.
- The rules of classroom and range will be strictly enforced. Any violations may result in the student being dismissed from the course.
The following class date is available according to interest. August 22, 2020 with a starting time of 9:00 am. Please register at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (765) 738-0079.
We need your Name, Date of Birth, email, phone number and address to register.
Send an email to the council or the visionaries group at the following address's using the form below.